Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Importance of Feeling Beautiful

My mom says I grew up with good self-esteem. She tells a story about trying on swimsuits with me when I was eight. I picked out a strapless tankini with big, horizontal stripes across my  tummy. Apparently, it was awful on me... but I didn't see it. I thought I looked awesome.

 I'm lucky. I'm lucky that I didn't grow up hating my body. So many girls see tons of things they want to change when they look in the mirror, and I don't dwell on it. Sure, I've got my issues, but at the end of the day I'm alright with who I am.

It's been a little harder for me to keep up that good self esteem with all of my health issues. My skin is scarred from shingles, my arm is bandaged up with a picc line and my weight loss has been totally halted by a Crohn's flare. I rarely wear makeup or get out of sweats, and even showering is a huge hassle with my picc line. I don't feel like myself, or beautiful at all lately. Worst of all, I have to go swimsuit shopping for a cruise soon!

I'm not going to let this beat me. I am beautiful, and I shouldn't have to feel otherwise.
Here are a few things that are inspiring me to feel more beautiful, wonderful and fabulous every day.

This show is such an inspiration. Betty is beautiful because she is truly herself.
Whitney Thompson- America's Next Top Model Winner!
She's a size 14 and looks INCREDIBLE!

Songs that make me feel beautiful, perfect and a little like a "firework."
Yes, I included the Glee version ;)

Lea Michele is gorgeous and accepts her unique beauty:
“I was one of the only girls in my high school that didn’t get one,” Michele said. “And if anybody needed it, I probably did. But my mom always told me, growing up, ‘Barbra Streisand didn’t get a nose job. You’re not getting a nosejob.’ And I didn’t. That’s why I’m proud to be on a positive show and to be a voice for girls and say, ‘You don’t need to look like everybody else. Love who you are.’”


At the end of the day you're the only person who can make yourself feel beautiful. Accept who you are and love yourself. You deserve it!

1 comment: