Sunday, July 17, 2011

Next to Normal

My last show of the season, probably. I may get tickets to Mamma Mia, but this was the big one.

Next to Normal is a musical about loss, depression and love. It's about the toll that depression can take on a family. It's a beautiful musical and I don't want to give too much away. If you have a chance to see it, SEE IT. You won't regret it. 
 I was fortunate enough to see it twice. Once with Pearl Sun, Alice Ripley's understudy, and once with the Tony winner herself. Both women were amazing, and the show was incredible.

Some favorite lyrics:


"You square all the corners, I straighten the curves. 
You've got some nerve, Henry, and I'm just all nerves." - Perfect for You 


"Day after day,
Give me clouds, and rain and gray.
Give me pain, if that's what's real.
 It's the price we pay to feel.
The price of love is loss,
But still we pay.
We love anyway."- Light 


I also met a lot of the cast! They were so sweet, especially Curt Hansen, the tour cast's Gabe. He was too funny.  Pardon my hair, it was drizzling and a mess outside!
Emma Hunton, who plays Natalie. Her voice is INCREDIBLE and she totally steals the show.
Asa Somers, who plays Dan. Again, awesome voice. Super nice guy. 
Curt Hansen, the N2N tour's Gabe. Isn't he a cutie? I love this picture. He was too funny.

Jeremy Kushnier, who plays the Doctors. He was super nice.








Preston Sadleir, the tour's Henry. He is so much like his character, which is a compliment if you've seen the show!

All in all, I loved it. I'd see it again in a heartbeat and encourage you to see it if you can. This cast is incredible. If you've never stagedoored, I'd also encourage you to try it. It's so much fun to meet the people behind the characters!

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome! I've been to shows but never gotten to meet any cast members. :-) And I haven't heard of this - don't think it's come through Richmond.

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete